The Whole Schools Initiative, Mississippi’s first comprehensive statewide arts education program, uses the arts as a vehicle for promoting high-quality instruction and learning for students in all disciplines. This unique program goes far beyond “art for art’s sake” and applies the learning power of the arts across the entire curriculum.
Quitman Lower and Upper Elementary are both certified Mississippi Whole Schools.
As Mississippi Whole Schools we strive to:
- To improve student academic achievement through the integration of the arts into the core curriculum.
- To enrich the lives of students by increasing their skills and knowledge in all arts disciplines.
- To assist the professional and personal growth of teachers and administrators through the arts.
- To use the arts to increase parental and community involvement in schools.
- To build a sustainable system for supporting arts integration in schools.
As our students progress to junior and high school levels they are offered art as an elective in their studies. At this level the students are encouraged to join clubs with other students who share the same artistic interests/abilities. They enjoy exploring their creative talents in drawing, painting, ceramics, photography and other mediums.